PE will be on a Thursday, please ensure your child has their PE kit for this day.
Welcome to Year 2 Otters
Our library day is Friday. Please bring your books back on this day so you can choose another to take home!
Our star of the week is...
for trying hard and persevering with some tricky maths challenges.
Our topic this term will be Ahoy Matey based around pirates. We will be looking at the story of How to find Gold where we will be writing our own instructions and also creating our own adventure stories. We will be looking at famous explorers of the past and also finding out about the 7 continents and 5 seas.
Welcome back; I hope you’ve had an enjoyable break. My name is Miss Vine, class teacher for Year Two Otters. Teaching the creative curriculum this half term will be Mrs Cameron, Mr Clarke along with myself. Miss Thompson and Miss Cameron will also be supporting the learning of the children.
This half term our topic is Ahoy Matey and is based around pirates and famous explorers. The 7 continents and 5 oceans in Geography and also famous explorers in history. We will be looking at the story of How to find Gold where we will link our sentence level work to write our own instructions and stories.
Our sentence level work this half term in Literacy will be based around using apostrophes for contractions and how we can extend our sentences by using a range of conjunctions.
Our science focus for the half term is continuing to be plants. We will be looking at what plants need to grow, the different parts of a plant. We will also be growing our plants and observing how they change over time.
In maths this half term we will be focusing on telling the time to 5 minutes on a clock. We will also be looking at position and direction and rotation of shapes. The children will also be practicing their time table facts for the 2, 3, 5 and 10 times table. We will practice these daily and you could help by encouraging these at home. Questions asked at random times are best!
Bug Club is a new website which has been introduced throughout school for reading. Your child now has a login so that they can access a variety of books at home. There are quizzes at the end of the story to test their understanding and activities which can be completed as they are reading the story.
How you can support your child at home
- All children are given a book bag which needs to come into school every day. It is a good place to keep reading and spelling books and any homework
- Reading needs to only be ten minutes each day and should be a fun and relaxing time. Don't worry about reading the whole book in one go; talk about the pictures and use different voices.
- Encouraging your child to learn the 2 , 5 and 10 times table in a fun way.
- Practice the different ways which you can make 10 and 20 e.g. 8+2 11+9.
- PE kits needed on a Thursday
- Reading books changed daily
- Numeracy homework will be sent out on a Friday to be returned by the following Friday
- Weekly spellings sent out on a Friday for testing the following Friday
Miss Vine, Mrs Passman and Miss Cameron