Welcome to Year 2, I hope you have all had an enjoyable Christmas. Happy New Year!
Welcome to Year 2 Otters
Our library day is Friday. Please bring your books back on this day so you can choose another to take home!
Our star of the week is...
For an excellent attitude to learning and always trying her hardest.
Welcome back; I hope you’ve had an enjoyable Christmas! My name is Miss Vine, class teacher for Year Two Otters. Teaching the creative curriculum this half term will be Mrs Cameron, Mr Clarke along with myself. Mrs Thompson and Mrs Hodgkins will also be supporting the learning of the children.
During the Second half term, our learning will be based around the theme "Life in the Freezer". In English we will be looking at the stories of Lars the Little Polar Bear and Lost found. We will be exploring the characters with an emphasis being on the setting and other features of the stories. As part of this topic we will also look at The Arctic and Antarctica, we will be finding out about where in the world these places are located, their climate and what it is like to live there.
In maths this half term we will be focusing on money, multiplication and division. We will be looking at how you can use different coins to make the same amount before looking at how multiplication and division is the same as repeated addition and subtraction. In Year Two there is also a strong focus on children learning and understanding their 2, 3, 5 and 10 times table facts. We will practice these as part of our maths lessons and it would be a great help if you could encourage these at home.
In science, the focus will be Materials. This topic will mainly focus on what different objects are made from and the properties of different materials. We will carry out a range of investigations as part of our science work.
Bug Club is a new website which has been introduced throughout school for reading. Your child now has a login so that they can access a variety of books at home. There are quizzes at the end of the story to test their understanding and activities which can be completed as they are reading the story.
How you can support your child at home
- All children are given a book bag which needs to come into school every day. It is a good place to keep reading and spelling books and any homework
- Reading needs to only be ten minutes each day and should be a fun and relaxing time. Don't worry about reading the whole book in one go; talk about the pictures and use different voices.
- Encouraging your child to learn the 2 , 5 and 10 times table in a fun way.
- Practice the different ways which you can make 10 and 20 e.g. 8+2 11+9.
- PE kits needed on a Thursday
- Reading books changed daily
- Numeracy homework will be sent out on a Friday to be returned by the following Friday
- Weekly spellings sent out on a Friday for testing the following Friday
We looking forward to an enjoyable spring term and rest of the year. Thank you for all your support.
Miss Vine, Mrs Thompson and Mrs Hodgkins.