PE will be on a Thursday, please ensure your child has their PE kit for this day.
Welcome to Year 2 Otters
Our library day is Friday. Please bring your books back on this day so you can choose another to take home!
Our star of the week is...
for an excellent start to Year 2!
Our topic this term will be Cold Climates . We will be looking at the stories of The Little Polar bear and Lost and Found. We will be exploring what it is like to live in a cold climate, what animals live and what the landscape is like.
Welcome back; I hope you’ve had an enjoyable Christmas break. My name is Miss Vine, class teacher for Year Two Otters. Teaching the creative curriculum this half term will be Mrs Cameron, Mr Clarke along with myself. Miss Thompson and Miss Cameron will also be supporting the learning of the children.
This half term our topic is Life Inside the Freezer. We will be looking at both the Arctic and the North Pole and Antarctica. We will be looking at the stories of The Little Polar Bear and Lost and Found. We will be looking at the habitats of the Arctic, what sorts of animals live and how the towns and cities are different to those in England.
Our sentence level work this half term in Literacy will be based around using apostrophes for contractions and how we can extend our sentences by using a range of conjunctions.
Our science focus for the half term is materials. We will be continuing to look at what different materials objects are made from. We will also be testing the suitability of different materials and how materials are suited to different purposes.
In maths this half term we will be focusing on money, multiplication and division. We will revisit 10 more and 10 less of numbers up to 100, before looking at adding up coins and notes and making the same using different coins. The children will also be practicing their time table facts for the 2, 3, 5 and 10 times table. We will practice these daily and you could help by encouraging these at home. Questions asked at random times are best!
Bug Club is a new website which has been introduced throughout school for reading. Your child now has a login so that they can access a variety of books at home. There are quizzes at the end of the story to test their understanding and activities which can be completed as they are reading the story.
How you can support your child at home
- All children are given a book bag which needs to come into school every day. It is a good place to keep reading and spelling books and any homework
- Reading needs to only be ten minutes each day and should be a fun and relaxing time. Don't worry about reading the whole book in one go; talk about the pictures and use different voices.
- Encouraging your child to learn the 2 , 5 and 10 times table in a fun way.
- Practice the different ways which you can make 10 and 20 e.g. 8+2 11+9.
- PE kits needed on a Thursday
- Reading books changed daily
- Numeracy homework will be sent out on a Friday to be returned by the following Friday
- Weekly spellings sent out on a Friday for testing the following Friday
Miss Vine, Miss Thompson and Miss Cameron