SEND Report



Our Federation aims to be fully inclusive. We actively seek to remove the barriers to learning and participation that can hinder or exclude individual pupils or groups of pupils. This means that equality of opportunity must be a reality for our children. We pay great attention to the different groups of children who may be represented within our federation.


There are four main categories of need:

  • Communication and interaction (including Autism)
  • Cognition and learning
  • Social, mental and emotional health
  • Sensory and/or physical



What kind of special needs are provided for in this school?

At Ingrow primary we value the individuality of all of the children in our care. We are committed to giving all of our children every opportunity to achieve the highest standards. We do this by taking account of pupils varied life experiences and needs. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum and have high expectations for all children.


How will my child be welcomed into the school? How will my child be supported to be part of the school?

We believe that every child is an individual and should be valued. We believe that all children should have their needs met and should be given an equal access to the curriculum. Our aim is to provide individual and small group provision for those children with Special Education Needs and/or Disability, whatever those needs may be, so that they can reach their full potential. We feel that their contribution to school life should be valued and we seek to build their self- esteem. Please view details of school admission procedure, via the website page ‘Our School’.


Where can I find out about what is available locally for me, my family or my child?

Bradford Local Authority has published its own Local Offer, which can be accessed and explained by the link below.

To search for the services available through the Bradford Local Offer click the link below:


Who is involved?

Inclusion Leader and SENCO: Mrs L Emsley

Responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.


Ensuring that you are:

  • Involved in supporting your child’s learning
  • Kept informed about the support your child is getting
  • Involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning

e.g. Speech and Language Therapist, Educational Psychologist, etc.

  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are detailed records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for Teachers and support staff so they can help children with SEND in school achieve the best progress possible.
  • Monitoring the impact of policies and the effectiveness of provision in the school.
  • Working with the Local Authority and External Consultants to implement and monitor our provision.


Class Teacher

Responsible for:

  • Working with parents and involving them on their child’s SEND journey.
  • The progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and informing the SENCO as necessary.
  • Writing children’s Provision Maps and keeping them up to date.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school is helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.


Head Teacher: Mrs L Murphy, Deputy Head Teacher: Miss J Desanj

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with
  • The Deputy will give responsibility to the SENCO and class Teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head Teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.


SEND Governor: Mr Dominic Atlas

Responsible for:

  • Monitoring the effectiveness of SEND provision in the school.


Therapeutic Staff: Mrs Midgley and Miss Buckle

Responsible for:

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the Thrive group and Woodlands
  • Monitor and assess children’s


A Teaching Assistant (TA) may be allocated to some pupils with SEND and or disabilities

  • A Teaching Assistant (TA) may be allocated to a pupil with exceptional special educational needs and/or disabilities and as a school we welcome daily dialogue between parent/carers and TAs on how a child’s day has been.


How will teaching be adapted to meet the needs of my child?

All children receive class teacher input via good classroom teaching:

  • The Teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can
  • Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child.
  • Lesson are differentiated to meet the needs of your child and the class.
  • Grouping of ability, mixed and independent work is used to support all pupils.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or staff from outside agencies) to enable your child to access the learning task.


What extra-­‐ curricular activities can my child participate in?

  • We make sure activities outside the classroom and school trips are available to
  • Risk assessments are carried out for each trip and suitable numbers of adults are made available to accompany the pupils, with 1:1 support if necessary.
  • After school clubs are available to all pupils


How will my child be involved in their own learning?

  • Children are involved every day in their own
  • They are involved in the marking of their work and their classmate’s work. The children are encouraged to talk about their learning in pairs and small Children’s targets are discussed with them and they take ownership of them.
  • Staff regularly complete pupil voice sessions. These sessions are an opportunity for children to give their views regarding any aspects of their school life.
  • They have the opportunity to say what they like/dislike at school, what they would change, explain ideas of how to support them in their learning and talk about anything else that is important to


How accessible is your school?

  • The school building is housed in a Victorian building but all areas of the buildings are Teachers in school adapt the classroom layouts to cater for children with special needs and/or disabilities.
  • Alternative resources are available for pupils and staff with dyslexia g. coloured exercise books and overlays.
  • For children who benefit from the use of electronic equipment to aid their learning, such equipment as lap-tops, iPads are available.
  • Writing slopes, writing grips, alternative scissors (e.g. loop scissors) are readily available for children to use.
  • We also have access to other specialised equipment as we require it g. Radio hearing equipment


What skills do the staff have to meet my child’s needs?

  • The SENCO’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.
  • The school has a school development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as children with autism.
  • We have whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with SEND.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.
  • We have staff who are qualified play therapists and accredited nurture and Thrive group practitioners.


How is behaviour managed?

  • Behaviour in school is based upon respecting others and their rights, motivation and self-esteem. Children must know what is expected of them and why. They must be able to see good models of behaviour from all adults.
  • If you have any concerns with your child’s behaviour please contact a member of (Also see the positives relationships and behaviour policy, which includes the ‘Going for Gold’ information.)


How will I know how my child is doing?

At Ingrow Primary School the class Teacher, SENCO and the Leadership Team continually monitor your child’s progress.

Their progress is reviewed half termly, staff monitor children’s achievements through formal assessments, pupil voice, learning journeys and pupil voice.

If your child is in Year 1 or above but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress.

At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the Government requires all schools to do.

Children on the school SEND register may have a child centred plan. Individual plans will show learning targets, these targets will be reviewed on a regular basis. This document will be created with you and your child.

The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with the child/young person and all the adults involved with the child.

The Leadership Team and SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress with any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

A range of ways will be used to keep you informed, which may include:

Home School Diary and Reading Records

Parents evenings

Additional meetings as required


Family support meetings

Review of child centred plans


What happens if I am worried about my child?

If you tell us you think your child has a SEND, we will discuss this with you and investigate – we will then share our findings and agree the next steps

How do you identify children who may have special needs? How do I get to know if my child has SEND?

At Ingrow Primary School when children have been identified as having SEND before they start, we work with the people who already know them and use the information already available to identify what provision they will need at our school.


If our staff think that your child has a SEND we will observe them; we will assess their skills and use tests to pinpoint what is causing difficulty (what is happening and why) and meet with you to discuss further strategies and support.


What happens if my child does have SEND?

The school implements a graduated approach to your child’s learning needs. Staff will follow the sequence of: Assess, Plan, Do, Review in line with the whole school assessment phases. This way we can constantly make sure that the school is meeting your child’s needs.


How will it work?

Support for children with identified special needs, new to school:

  • We will first invite you to visit the school with your child to have a look around and speak to staff.
  • If other professionals are involved, a Team Around the Child (TAC) meeting will be held to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies used and ensure provision is put in place before your child starts.
  • The SENCO and/or your child’s key worker may visit your child if they are attending another provision.
  • We may suggest adaptations to the settling in period to help your child settle in more easily.


Children with specific barriers to learning, that cannot be overcome through whole class teaching (Quality First Teaching) and intervention groups:

  • If your child has been identified as needing more specialist input in addition to good classroom teaching and intervention groups, referrals will be made to outside agencies to advise and support the school in enabling your child to make progress. Before referrals are made you will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • If it is agreed that the support of an outside agency is a way forward, you will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional eg a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school understand your child’s needs


The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations which may include:

  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class eg some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better.
  • Support to set targets which will include their specific professional
  • Your child’s involvement in a group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional eg a social skills group or SEMH hub.
  • Further assessment with other professionals when and if appropriate



What if I think my child needs more help than the school can provide?

If you or the school believe that your child needs more support either you or the school can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. (EHCA) This is a legal process and you can find more details about this in the Local Authority (LA) based Local Offer.

After the school have sent in the request for EHCA to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a EHC assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs.

After the reports have all been sent in, the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP). The EHCP will outline support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short-term goals for your child.

This may be used to support your child with whole class learning, individual programmes or small groups including your child. Each child’s programme will vary depending on the needs of the child and the targets set in the EHCP.


We may be able to offer in-house programs like:

  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • SEMH provision or social groups


We will always use the advice of external agencies e.g. an Educational Psychologist to help develop and review each child’s needs.


What if the Local Authority says no?

If the LA decides not to issue an EHCP, they will write to you informing you of their decision. Ask the school to review or continue with the support at the current level and set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

How will the school fund the support needed for my child?

The school budget, received from the Local Authority, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school Governors, on the basis of needs in the school.

The Headteacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

  • the children getting extra support
  • the children needing extra
  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.
  • Deciding what resources, training and support is
  • All resources, training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.


How will the school help my child to manage the transitions into school, into a new class or on to a different school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure that they know about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as


When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class Teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new Teacher.
  • Depending on the needs of the child a visit to their new classroom can be provided to help them in their understanding of moving to a new class.
  • Books can be made containing photographs of the child’s new Teachers, classroom, etc for your child to take home with them over the Summer holidays so that they can become familiar with everything whilst they are not in school.

When moving to Ingrow School during the academic year:

o    We will meet with you and your child to discuss their needs and decide how to best transition into our school.

  • We will liaise with the previous school SENCO to discuss the provision and obtain records from external


In Year 6:

  • We fully support parents and carers in making decisions about the secondary school they choose for their children and work with them to ensure the smooth transition from KS2 to KS3 is smooth.
  • The SENCO will attend the Primary Transition Day to discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary school and the specialist session for SEND students as appropriate.
  • Your child will have opportunities to learn about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Secondary School support workers are invited into
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.


Where can I or my child get further help, information and support?

There are a number of local and national services designed to support parents and carers on many SEND areas. Please contact our Family Liaison leaders: Helen Mawer on 01535 603868.

Bradford Barnardo's SENDIASS Bradford SENDIASS


SENDIASS supports parents and carers of children or young people who have special needs and/or disabilities (SEND) AGES 0 - 25 YEARS living in the Bradford district. Children and Young people can also access the service independently. The service supports with; Exclusions, Transfers, Admissions, Transport, Appeals, Mediation, Complaints, Personal budgets, EHCP's SEN support.

SENDIASS supports parents and carers of children and young people with SEND and they offer a wide range of support from telephone advice, information sheets and packs, social media pages, signposting, training workshops, events, drop in sessions and tailored 1:1 casework. Each case is assessed on an individual basis and support is tailored to individual need.


Tel: 01274 513300


SEND Code of Practice

Guidance on the special educational needs and disability (SEND) system for children and young people aged 0 to 25.

How do I complain if I am not happy with what is happening for my child?

Please contact the school as soon as possible with your complaint. Depending on the nature of the concern, you may wish, or be asked to, follow the schools formal complaints procedure.


If you have any further questions please contact the school and we will be more than happy to help you.

Tel: 01535 603986